January 8, 2018

Someday, My Prince Will Come


RANT ALERT:

Warning-- this series is probably going to turn into one long rant.... that's usually what happens when I tackle this subject.

So... I lived through the holidays. This is the first  Thanksgiving/Christmas etc. since I became "unengaged." Needless to say, it's been quite the emotional roller-coaster.
So, I decided that a series on singlehood, focusing on those of us in the Lutheran church, but hopefully it will be applicable to others too.

I attend two churches. One of a relatively large church, about 500 people. I don't go to youth group, because, well, I've never met anyone I wanted to get to know better that attended it.
The second is a dearly beloved tiny church with maybe 50 people, only one of whom is close to my age.

None of the youth speak to me.
I know it's hard to believe, but I'm really not that scary.
I don't wear vampire teeth to church, make things levitate, or crackle evilly.

Someday, I'll address the cliquishness of church, but that's for a different post.

The applicable problem is that there simply aren't any potential guys. At all.

I've asked a couple of well respected pastors what to do, since, as I've healed from The Breakup, I've realized that there are no guys to get into a relationship with.

They love to send me towards online dating, which is a topic I'm going to address in full later in this series-- needless to say, I don't consider it an option.

I've also been told that I just need to find a church with better prospects.
Newsflash-- I've been to all the LCMS churches within reasonable driving distance. There aren't really any guys anywhere--- not within a hour or so. Most of the churches around here are little, old and dying. Not that I don't like old people.... but I'm not marrying a 75 year old widower. Sorry.

Outside of moving to Africa, Minnesota or Texas-- all of whom have better, younger Lutheran populations than Canton, Ohio, Rustbelt City.... I'm not sure what my choices are.

So-- What AM I doing?

Praying. Lots of praying. Sometimes crying, usually desperate, often despondent, occasionally hopeful, always blatantly honest. I don't know what I would do if I didn't pray, but I'd probably bust a few blood vessels.

Serving. If I'm thinking about others, I'm not thinking about me. I volunteer at Rahab Ministries, teach Kids Club on Wednesday nights, and blog. When I'm immersed in servanthood, I'm not moping.

Listening to Music. I seriously love Jason Crabb and the Isaacs Family. Country Gospel and Christian Bluegrass keeps me sane. I have a playlist right now on my IPod titled "Bad Days." Plus, I love going to church and singing the hymns of the church with the organ in the background. Just love it. It regulates my heartbeat, for all intents and purposes.

Higher Things. Went to there conference last year, and although nothing came of it, I did meet some cool guys..... So at least I know they exist.

I plan on my move to Africa. I'm not totally serious... but humor is great. I have friends and parents that I can groan, complain, and snark to.... and who will also engage me in humor when I engage my favorite saying-- "If You don't laugh... you'll cry."


I'm going to get really, freakishly detailed as the series goes along. I don't totally know yet how long this is going to go... At least three more parts, the next one on Online Dating, my nemesis. Likely one on the Holidays, and a Theological one on the Vocation of Singleness and Dating in the Lutheran Church. (Which will probably get a nerd alert.) Who knows what else.

(PS.... Still trying to figure out the photo stuff on Blogger. Hopefully I'll figure out how to add pictures to these soon.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Saints in Full Color

In memory and celebration of the recent anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr's assassination last week, I decided to present two ...