January 21, 2018

"Sorry, Prince Charming. I'm Too Young. I have to Go to College First."


It's a fact.

59% of Millennials have never been married.

What you've thought was true, is indeed true. Young people are delaying marriage longer and longer than any future generation ever did.

According to the U.S. Census reports:

20% of 18-30 year olds are married.

Compare that too--

36% of GenXers were married by that age.
48% of Boomers.
65% of Traditionalists.

The numbers don't lie.... the number of people getting married is dropping at a frightening rate.

But here's a fact you probably don't expect. Of the young people today who are single and have never been married..... 86% want to get married.

If they want to get married, why aren't more of them married?

I would put forward that it's all about priorities.... and finances.

Think about it. We have indoctrinated our children for years that marriage is a ball and chain, that they need to get everything together before they can get married, and that college and career are more important anyway.

How many married people have you heard groaning and complaining about what their spouse does or doesn't do? How many married people have you heard throwing out some variation of the "Yes Dear" joke? How many married people do you know that act like they like each other?

I know many couples that puzzle me. I'm not sure why they're married, because you never see them together. Or, if you do, they act like they hate each other. Or, if it's not pure hate, it's aloof and distant.

Yet, at the same time, we tell our youth that marriage is a wonderful, God given thing. That it's a joy and a gift.

Coulda fooled me.

This is what I see, in reality.

I've had a lot of people ask me when I'm going to college, and express deep concern when I tell them I don't have plans to attend one soon.

I don't remember a single time that anyone has asked me whether I was in a relationship, then given condolences when I expressed my lack of dates.

Everyone is quick to tell me I'm too young to choose a spouse. Nobody has told me that I'm too young to chose a career. Never has someone suggested that a 18 year old is too young to understand what $60,000 in debt really is.

This is the message that I, and my fellow young people are getting: Go to college. Rack up some so much debt that you'll be eating Ramen for six years. Focus on climbing the corporate ladder in your field. Get married once you have job, house, and new car.

It hasn't always been this way. My grandparents married young, and those who went to college didn't wait until graduation to tie the knot. My parents married young, after their four year degree, but before my Dad went to grad school.

It's not just changing the marriage age from after high school to after undergrad school.

The average age of marriage is now 27 for gals and 29 for guys.
That's post high school, undergrad, grad school, and then between three and five years after.

I'm not saying that everyone should get married young. What I am saying is this-- getting married young is not a sin, it's not unwise, and it should be encouraged as an appropriate desire.

I'm not married, but here's two articles that talk about the benefits of marrying young from people who did so. Click here and here.

This is what I'm saying.

Singles-- Don't be afraid to make getting married a priority. Don't be afraid to marry young. Allow God to bring your spouse in His timing.... but be open to it being sooner than you might have thought.

Married Couples-- Act like you like it already! Show us how awesome marriage is. Encourage us when we express longings to marry. Don't critique people who marry young. Support them, and show them the ropes.


Also-- Look! I got the pictures to work!

2 comments:

  1. i noticed and I am so proud of you Abbey:)... I mean about getting the pics to work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone noticed! :-)

      Thanks for reading and supporting this crazy adventure!

      Delete

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Saints in Full Color

In memory and celebration of the recent anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr's assassination last week, I decided to present two ...