March 28, 2018

Telling the Whole Story



A lot of my friends are excited about Easter...

I'll admit, I'm excited too... But not just for Easter. I feel like we're forgetting something amid the plastic eggs, Jelly beans, and plush bunny rabbits.

We forget the real story.

A story not easily rendered in pastels on a greeting card.
A story of pain, betrayal, torture and surrender.


That's why I don't just go to church on Easter morning when everything is bright and happy and the tomb is empty.
And that is why I present to you Holy Week.... in four clips of the Liturgy.

I go to church on Maundy Thursday, when Jesus gives us the greatest gift of all-- His own Body... Before wailing in the garden and being taken to be tried.
 
I will watch as the altar, formerly draped with the purple of Lent, is stripped of all color and left bare.
 
 
 I will be in church the following night when we read the text of His Holy Passion, and remember everything He did to win us back from the Devil.
 
I will hear the symbolic closing of the tomb, and leave in blackness and silence, just like John and the Virgin Mary left the tomb 2,000 years ago.
 

 
 
I will be in church again on Saturday as we hold a wake over the tomb, reading the promises and begging for the Light of Christ to shine again.
 
I light my candle in the hope that Christ has overcome death, hell and the devil.... and will help me overcome.
 
Then,
I will return on Sunday, filled with joy, and we will pronounce,
 
"He is risen!
Alleluia, He is risen indeed!"
 


 
 
 I pray that all of you have a blessed Holy Week, and wonderful Easter! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the conversation!

Saints in Full Color

In memory and celebration of the recent anniversary of Martin Luther King Jr's assassination last week, I decided to present two ...